This specialization is for those who want to study English grammar at the beginning level. Through the three courses in this specialization, you will learn the fundamental features of English grammar such as word forms, verb tenses, and question and answer formation so that you can start your English learning journey on the right path
In the world of language learning, having a strong grasp of grammar is like having a reliable foundation for building a magnificent structure. Just as architects need a solid base for their creations, learners of English need a strong foundation in grammar to confidently express their ideas. If you’re ready to embark on your English language learning journey, the Beginning Grammar Specialization offered by the University of California, Irvine is your perfect starting point.
This specialization comprises three comprehensive courses, each designed to guide you through the intricate landscape of English grammar. Led by experienced instructors, including the renowned Rachel Fernandez and Karen Vallejo, this program guarantees a fulfilling learning experience.
What You’ll Gain
By enrolling in this specialization, you’ll gain more than just an understanding of English grammar; you’ll gain the power to communicate effectively in this global language. The courses within this program are tailored to provide you with:
- In-Depth Knowledge: Delve into the intricacies of word forms, verb tenses, question and answer formation, and more. Develop a deep understanding of these fundamental aspects of English grammar.
- Practical Application: Through practice exercises and quizzes, you’ll apply your newly acquired grammar skills. Not only will you master sentence-level usage, but you’ll also excel at using English at the discourse level.
- Flexible Learning: With a beginner-friendly structure, this program is suitable for learners with no prior experience in English grammar. You can study at your own pace, dedicating around 10 hours per week.
- Career Advancement: Acquire in-demand skills directly from university and industry experts. Upon completion, earn a career certificate from the prestigious University of California, Irvine.
Who This Course is For
This specialization is ideal for individuals who are eager to explore English grammar at the beginning level. Whether you’re an aspiring English language enthusiast, a student entering the world of academia, or a professional seeking to enhance your language skills, this program is tailored to meet your needs.
The Beginning Grammar Specialization is structured as a three-course series. Each course focuses on a crucial aspect of English grammar, ensuring that you build a strong foundation step by step.
Applied Learning Approach
In each course, you won’t just passively absorb grammar rules. Instead, you’ll engage in active learning through applied projects. These projects help you solidify your understanding by implementing grammar patterns in practical scenarios. This hands-on approach ensures that you not only understand the rules but also become adept at using them effectively.
Course 1: Word Forms and Simple Present Tense
Course Duration: 9 hours In this course, “Word Forms and Simple Present Tense,” you’ll embark on an exciting journey into the world of word forms and the simple present tense. Here’s what you’ll learn:
- Diverse Word Forms: Understand different word forms, including nouns, proper nouns, plural forms, and singular forms. Gain insight into using articles like “a” and “an” effectively.
- BE Verb Mastery: Learn about the BE verb in English, its formation, and appropriate usage.
- Simple Present Verb Formation: Explore the formation of other verbs in the simple present tense, including spelling rules. Learn how to create negative forms for sentences.
Course 2: Questions, Present Progressive, and Future Tenses
Course Duration: 8 hours In the course “Questions, Present Progressive, and Future Tenses,” you’ll delve into essential aspects of English grammar:
- Question Formation: Master the art of forming questions in the simple present tense, using question words.
- Present Progressive: Discover how to form the present progressive tense to express ongoing actions. Understand the nuances between simple present and present progressive tenses.
- Talking About the Future: Learn to use “to be going to” and the present progressive tense to discuss future events. Explore how to use “can” to express ability.
Course 3: Simple Past Tense
Course Duration: 8 hours In the course “Simple Past Tense,” you’ll journey into the past to uncover the secrets of this essential tense:
- Forming the Simple Past: Grasp the intricacies of forming and using the simple past tense.
- Handling Irregular Verbs: Navigate through irregular verbs in the simple past tense. Discover patterns to aid in remembering these irregularities.
- Negatives and Questions: Learn to form negatives and questions using the simple past tense. Dive into the world of object pronouns and adjectives for effective communication.
In the realm of English language learning, mastering grammar is a transformative achievement. With the Beginning Grammar Specialization from UC Irvine, you’ll not only gain a solid foundation in English grammar but also embark on a journey of effective communication. Whether you’re starting from scratch or looking to enhance your existing skills, this program is your guide to unlocking the power of English language expression.
- Q: How long do I have access to the course materials?
- A: Once enrolled, you’ll have unlimited access to the course materials, allowing you to learn at your own pace.
- Q: Can I earn a certificate upon completion?
- A: Yes, upon successfully completing the specialization, you’ll receive a career certificate from the University of California, Irvine.
- Q: Are there any prerequisites for enrolling in this specialization?
- A: No, this specialization is designed for beginners with no prior experience in English grammar.
- Q: Can I interact with the instructors and fellow learners?
- A: Yes, the program provides opportunities for interaction through discussion forums and collaborative projects.
- Q: Is financial aid available for this specialization?
- A: Yes, financial aid options are available to eligible learners. Contact the course administrators for more information.
Embark on your journey to mastering English grammar with UC Irvine’s Beginning Grammar Specialization. Enroll now and take the first step towards confident language expression.